Certainly there’s a phenomenon around open source. You know free software will be a vibrant area. There will be a lot of neat things that get done there. – Bill Gates
Open source is a type of licensing agreement that allows users to freely modify a work, use said work in new ways, integrate the work into a larger project or derive a new work based on the original. By removing barriers between innovators, open source promotes a free exchange of ideas within a community to drive creative, scientific and technological advancement.
Open source software is doing something very similar to what science has been doing over the past couple hundred years. General science – research done into physics, biology, mathematics, etc – is done in an environment of peer review. That means that science by its very nature is (mostly) open source; you have to share your science with other people so that they can evaluate it. When it’s agreed to be solid, everyone can use that knowledge to keep advancing.
Open source softwares are very recommended to use in any business. Amazon.com. Ticketmaster.com. IBM. Google. Wired Magazine. Internet Movie Database. Salon.com they do all use open source softwares to further empower their businesses.
I would analyze your business need and discuss a suitable open source softwares that would empower and secure your own business. I have worked with a wide range of open source web projects including CMS, web solutions, portal softwares, mobile solutions, CMS, CRM, ERP, intranets, to name a few…
Why do I care if I have access to the source code?
Surprisingly enough you and your business should care for several reasons.
Here is short list of the major reasons it is an attractive choice for businesses:
- Control — Using Open Source software lets you be in control of your business. Unlike commercial software you can be the master of your own destiny.
- Flexibility — It is licensed in such a way that you can modify it yourself or hire a third party to modify it to suit the specific needs of your business.
- Reliability — It is developed in such a way that it is typically more reliable ( i.e. fewer bugs ) than software which is developed using a standard commercial development method.
- Cost — Open source software can be obtained and used with little to no up front costs. You only pay for the support you actually need, and most importantly only when you need it.
- Longevity — When a commercial software company goes out of business you lose all your support, bug fixes, security patches, and possibility of future versions. If a piece of software you use is critical to your business, and is Open Source, you can simply contract with a consulting firm, individual programmers, or other third parties.
Some of the open source softwares I support:
- Open Source Customization
- WordPress Customization
- Drupal Customization
- Joomla Customization
- Magento Customization
- PrestaShop Customization
- Zen Cart Customization
- OsCommerce Customization
As open source development has web application much more effective and faster. Also it has made work easier for developers. I have added experience developing powerful integrated open source application, development of services, web servers, database servers and a scripting languages with an operating system.
If you require an innovative and efficient consultant for any of your needs, let us discuss a suitable solution adjusted to your business.