Quick 5 Minute SEO Audit
SEO audit is an important first-step to a successful SEO marketing campaign. Whenever you analyze a new site, or working on an existing web project. auditing a website should always be your first step.
For a successful SEO auditing there are a number of factors you will need to check both for on-page and off-page optimization. These factors determinate your future positioning in search engines and so the quantity of the organic quality traffic.
In a professional environment you may find yourself in need to analyze quickly a huge amount of websites, all with different needs and issues. Here are some of the most important things you can quickly look at to understand the need of a client. It can all be done within 5 minutes.
Important Steps for a successful 5 minute SEO audit
Tools installed prior to SEO audit
Websites opened prior to SEO audit
Ready, Set, Go!
0:00 – 1:00 (Domain History)
1:00 – 2:00 (Technical Issues)
- Check canonical issues: www vs non www vs index.html
- Check robots.txt: Is the site blocked from search engines? (domain.com/robots.txt)
- Check for XML sitemap (usually domain.com/sitemap.xml)
- Check URLs: Look for potential crawling issues – Parameters
2:00 – 3:00 (On-Page Issues)
- Check Title and Meta Description Tags: Keyword Rich
- Check Content: (keyword rich anchor text, internal linking, consistent layout)
- Check for Plagerism: Take 1 url and put it in Copyscape.
- Check page speed and performance: pingdom | gtmetrix
3:00 – 4:00 (Off-Page Issues)
- Reverse IP Check: any bad domains on the same hosting?
- Check Competition: Put main keyword/phrase in Google (look at“Results 1 – 10 of about 328,000,000 for keyword“)
- Check for Malware: Put url through Google safebrowsing dianostic tool (http://www.google.com/ safebrowsing/ diagnostic?site=mysite.com)
- Check for Local Business Listing: Use Google Maps – Correct listing in Google?