SEO is the most important part of any web-based business. If you do not optimise your website you will not drive organic visitors to your site. Search engines are always updating their algorithms and, to ensure that your site is well ranked, you need to be aware of any changes and adjust your SEO strategy accordingly. It’s official now; more people are searching on their handheld devices than on their PC’s. Because of this, Google recently updated its search-indexing algorithm to favour mobile-friendly websites over traditional designs.
Here is a brief overview of SEO 2.0, the most up to date strategy which takes into consideration all recent algorithm updates.
- Keywords – We used to believe that selecting two or three keywords focused on your target was best practice. However, accordingly to the SEO 2.0 strategy, we suggest using many keywords. This is important for a number of reasons, one being the use of long tail keywords for voice activated mobile searches.
- Content – Content has always been important; however, now the competition has got even stronger. Google is now looking for quality original content. There are many websites duplicating content or publishing text specifically for obtaining a high ranking on Google. Good relevant content with naturally placed keywords adds a powerful punch to your SEO. More even than a high number of backlinks.
- Backlinks – Quality is better than quantity, so think about whom you want linking to your website and remember: the best kind of backlinks is genuine referral links.
- On-page SEO – It’s important that your metatags, page title and alt tags are all up to date. On-page SEO has a direct impact on optimizing your website.
- Fast loading pages – with mobile-friendly websites currently being the key focus, it’s important that your pages load quickly and your users have a good experience when visiting your site.
- Social Media – Your online reputation has never been so important. Make sure you have a good presence on social media.
If you haven’t yet updated your SEO strategy you may find that your ranking in search engines may have dropped. It may seem like these are only small amendments to how your SEO is implemented however they will have a large impact on your results.